Re: [Amps] 10dB and propagation

To: K3BU@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10dB and propagation
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:48:50 -0800

On Feb 6, 2005, at 3:08 PM, K3BU@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 2/6/2005 9:57:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
k7fm@teleport.com writes:
I used to wonder how come I could use a tri-band beam, advertised at 8 db
gain, and an amplifier advertised at 1500 watts and yet be 15 db down from
other local stations who were using 3 element mono-banders. Since the power
limit is 1500 watts, they would naturally have been running the same power
as me.

This non-linear ionospheric amplification must therefore have been the
explanation. I had been puzzled for years. They obviously lived in such a
duct, while I did not.<<

Yuri -- Perhaps they had a special antenna tuner that had a 7.5v. 75A fil xfmr?

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org