Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:49:11 +0100
As far as I know ethylene glycol as automotive anti-freeze dates from the
mid-20's
when the "Prestolite" anti-freeze mixture was first marketed.

It is believed that the high-enthalpy and high-boiling point properties were
known before, and glycol used as a
liquid coolant for aircraft engines in the same time period.

If very high speed from a piston-engine powered aircraft was needed, a last
resort could be
to use almost pure ethylene glycol as a coolant, and flying the aircraft with
the cooling flaps
closed to reduce aerodynamic drag. A well known example was the 1939 world
speed record
of  755,11 km/h set by Cpt. Fritz Wendel in a Messerschmitt Bf-109R special
aircraft.
It was reported that the engine was red-hot and almost ruined after the record
flight.

My own experience from liquid-cooled "amps" come from the HF 1 kW SSA1000 and
VHF/UHF 1 kW PA204
solid-state units, both built in the 80's by  ITT-Standard Radio in Sweden.

They are intended to use Fluorinert as coolant, but as it is very expensive and
has an enerving tendency to escape
through even very minute leaks, the amateur users I know of use a 50-50 mixture
of distilled water and glycol.

As a water-glycol mixture has about twice the enthalpy as Fluorinert, the
amplifier
runs cooler for a given coolant flow as a side effect.

The reason for using Fluorinert, according to the manufacturer, is that it can
be stored in the cooling
system almost indefinitely without the risk of leaving any residues that can
block the cooling channels or the pump.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM