[Amps] Amplifier classes in solid state

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Amplifier classes in solid state
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:56:05 -0500
Hey all,

I gotta ask this question;

Is the amplifier classes A, AB1, AB2, B, and C valid for solid state devices?

Now my training says it is as the base of a semiconductor is the same as the
grid on a triode. There's the part about grid current flowing, but of course we
have base current flowing when running class AB1 or A as the base is biased on
with a regulator. To me, I cant see any difference in the action of a triode or
a transistor if the transistor is biased correctly.

Now, most know I'm a tube head instead of solid state when it comes to RF amps.
Am I missing the boat here and just dont see something?

All comments welcome,

Will