Re: [Amps] Bleeder Resistor Inquiry

To: "aborg" <a_borg@yahoo.com>, "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bleeder Resistor Inquiry
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:04:21 +0200
Expect a 225W resistor dissipating 160W to become quite hot...

On a more serious turn, good engineering practice has been to overrate
any bleeder with a safety factor of  4.

The current 100 k bleeder resistor results in a discharge time constant of
about 4 seconds,
and if you increase the bleeder resistance the trade-off will be a prolonged
discharge time.

If you series connect another 100 k resistor with the present, the discharge
time constant
will be 8 seconds, and the safety factor about 3. Also, the maximum voltage
gradient across the
resistor is less likely to be exceeded.

Finally, bleeders should never be trusted, so a grounding switch or preferably
a grounding interlock
should be used to securely short-circuit the HV output before any access moves
are made to
the equipment interiors.

The life you save may be your own.

73/