Re: [Amps] U.S. Military chooses Harris

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] U.S. Military chooses Harris
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:21:26 -0700 (PDT)
If it holds a key, it's probably not going too far.  The devices we use to
simply store keys for later use in the field, while not classified when zeroed
are still not going anywhere.  Lose one, and you a$$ is in a sling.  We have
hand-held radios that are considered CCI (Controlled Cryptographic Items)
because they can be encrypted.  I wouldn't want to lose one of those either.

If these radios are truly SW defined, as in the first IF is generated &
encrypted outside of that "box" (like the SDR-1000 you mentioned), then you'll
might see them.  Otherwise, don't count on it.  The HF radios we use (I'm in
the Air National Guard) are encypted externally, so if you just plug in a mic,
it's in the clear.  These are defintely on the surplus market.  Here's a good
pic of the one I'm referring to (AN/URC-119 with 500W auto-tune 3CX800 amp):

http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/acs/radios/URC-119.html

Joe, N3JI

K8MLM@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 4/27/05 6:30:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, n3ji@yahoo.com