Re: [Amps] eBay

To: <craxd1@ezwv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] eBay
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:03:42 -0700
To Will M. and other's on the might fine list:

What you are describing has happened to me on ebay.  You make your bid a few
hours or days in advance and nothing happens.

Then, maybe minutes before the bidding closes there is a huge scurry of bidding
activity for the item. Have heard (ubsubsatnsitated) of sellers who have
"friends" (who needs friends like these) acting as you suspect, as shills to
goose the bid up to where you are paying the price THEY want.

Fer instance: have watched a local online seller who puts items up for bid with
a reserve that is quite near his "buy it now" price.

Tracked a couple of his items, seen bids as close as $50.00 or so to a "buy it
now price" of $2,000.00 item that did not match or beat the reserve price.

Yeah, there are shills out there. Just got to watch for them and be wary.

 73,
Gary... wa6fgi