Re: [Amps] Signal Generators

To: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Signal Generators
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:01:22 +0200
In my opinion the HP8640 is a superior signal generator.
Its phase noise performance is hard to match even by today's signal generators,
and it is still in the same class as the best HF receivers around.

On the down side, some of the components used in the HP8640 are very exotic
today,
so i.a. a burned-out output amplifier can be difficult and expensive to replace.

The Wavetek generators have a considerably higher phase noise floor and
residual FM
due to their internal design (many PLL's and mixers) However, it appears that
they contain far less exotic components.
For casual receiver testing and measurements on mixers and amplifiers they are
perfectly sufficient.

As usual, the applications govern the selection;

HP8640 for measurements on high-grade receivers,and when a very clean +20 dBm
signal is required
Wavetek 3001 as general purpose signal sources

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM