Re: [Amps] Signal Generators

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Signal Generators
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:15:44 -0500
Peter,

The 8640B is the one I more of less am going to get and the reason being the
frequency is on a spinner knob, no dial switches or keypads. Keypads are
notorious to wear out and so are the dial switches if flipped through enough.
Finding replacements is a nightmare. I think the equipment of today which most
all use keypad input because of cost is their downfall. Plus as you mention,
there's a good bit of junkers around for parts. The use of modules is another
plus for me. When the manufacturers in the TV industry quit modular sets, it
made serviving an expensive thing to do unless you just replaced the entire
chassis. In this case it is now so costly that nobody will repair a set and buy
new. In fact, it put many repair shops out of business, I was one of them. Then
too, the Wal-Marts and the Lowes sprang up all over and could sell new sets for
what they cost a small shop. At the time, I sold for N.A.P. as a authorized
Philco and Quasar shop. The Philco was the same set as the Sylvania and
Magnavox (and still is), but Lowes and Wal-Mart had the Sylvania and Magnacox
lines tied up and sold them for my cost. When that happened, and the modular
sets stopped, I shut the doors on the shop like all the others. Back during the
module days, you could repair a set generally within 15-30 minutes. You turned
the old module in at a supply house to get a "dud" fee and got a new module
back to put in your caddy. Back then, Quasar had the "works in the drawer", I
never will forget, all the modules were on each side of the drawer. The N.A.P.
sets had an upright chassis with all the modules in full view. Two others had
similar which was RCA and Zenith. I will have to say though that the old Zenith
sets were the toughest and the easiest fix. GE sets, every repairman ran from
because they used cheap PC boards that warped. Bad solder joints plauged them.
Fix one and in 30 days it was back for the same thing, just in a different
spot. The best money came from rejuvenating picture tubes. I still have my B&K
467, and can still get new sockets for it. Anyhow, I've rambled on enough about
my old TV service days. It just seems a lot of the time, the older equipment
and electronic products was just built tougher and easier to service than
todays stuff coming out. Now they have surface mount which I highly despise and
is another story.

Best,

Will