Re: [Amps] GU-84B Cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GU-84B Cooling
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:47:47 -0700
On 19 Jul 2005 at 14:53, Will Matney wrote:

> On a webpage somewhere, I cant remember now where, I read about the
> GU-84B (4CX1600) having an undersized radiator. I think it was on a
> Russian amateur website. What I had read was this tube was actually
> designed for running in a missle by the Russians, and was designed for
> a 1 time use. So, they undersized the radiator a good bit because of
> space limitations. They were making the comparison to a 4CX1500's
> radiator size being larger in the discussion. However the guts of the
> GU-84B supposed to be really good. So this brings the delima of how to
> cool it so one would get a long life out of it. One way would be add
> some sort of extra aluminum heat fins, or some made of brass, with
> fins sticking out to catch more air, thus increasing the overall
> surface area. The only other way would be to increase the amount of
> air flow and volume over the fins that's there. When doing this
> though, the noise goes up from the blower.

The radiator is comparatively small.  But why not take to heart what
Rich, AG6K, says?  "The only time there's too much cooling air is
when it blows the tube out of the socket!" (or something like that.)

If the blower is too loud, wear headphones.  I wear them all the
time.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT