Re: [Amps] SB-220 Submerged

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 Submerged
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:39:36 -0500

First I would soak it in tap water.  It has already been submerged in something
worse than tap water, so this will help get the original "non-water" components
out.  And then I would soak it in distilled water.  Maybe a couple of times.

The meters will be very hard to fix once soaked but might be salvageable.
The real issue will be the high-voltage power supply, specifically the
transformer.  You will need to bake it out for a long time, but do it
slowly.  You don't want a lot of water to quickly turn to steam internally.

I don't recall what the filter caps are encased in.  Plastic cans, cardboard,
or whatever.  They can be a real issue if the water has entered them.
If there is any question I would replace them before firing up the high-
voltage supply.

Relays are the same as transformers if their coils are not sealed in
plastic.  You may need to replace them.

Most other parts will survive a bath.

--John  W0UN