Re: [Amps] SB-220 Submerged

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 Submerged
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:15:47 -0500

>Ran it all thru the dishwasher, let it actually sun dry for 48 hours and it
>all went back into service including the satillite equipment.  I was
>astonished that it all worked.

And another positive data point in the litany of stories about successes after
water damage was in the 1960s when I was working in the standards lab
of an avionics company.  One of the production test positions for final
certification had a little AC-DC AM radio that caught fire over the weekend
and set off the sprinkler system.  The test equipment was always left
on to maintain stability and when the sprinklers came on many of the
tubes in the old HP and Tektronix equipment (sig gens, scopes, etc) shattered
when the hot tubes were hit with cold water.  Of course that caused the
AC mains fuses to blow.

My lab was not all that sad, thinking about all of the overtime we would get
trying to get the equipment back into service after being directly under
the sprinkler.   Of course this equipment was not totally submerged but
just "hosed down" for an extended period of time.  We let the equipment
air dry for a few days before we tackled the repairs.  We replaced the tubes
that shattered and the fuses and most everything came right back to life.
And still met calibration specs.  (A couple of the items required a power
resistor or two where they had burned out.)  And this was vacuum tube gear
with (relatively) high voltage.

And we got absolutely NO overtime out of the deal.

--John   W0UN