Re: [Amps] Fraudulent email to amps posters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fraudulent email to amps posters
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:41:38 -0500
A couple of years ago my daughter had downloaded an installed a piece of
software which installed a driver on her local computer that caused the
web browser to form links based on certain keywords displayed in the
browser. Didn't matter which sites you were visiting. It actually removed
any original links in the page and replaced them with links they had
associated with there keywords. The program she downloaded and installed
said nothing about this link alteration but was supposed to have a
whole other function. Think about the implications of this if you were
to be using paypal or any other site that requested personal information.
If you were to go to paypal.com you would get the correct page but the
links may have been swapped. If so and you click on 'Send Money' you would
see the fake ( but identical in appearance ) page which may route your money
to a totally different account. This is only an example and I know you have
to specify bank routing numbers when you register with paypal but what about
others financial institutions, etc...

I haven't heard of a real life incident of such but wonder if anyone else
has?

Regards,
Larry N5BIP