Re: [Amps] Fraudulent email to amps posters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fraudulent email to amps posters
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:32:13 -0400
Larry,

That's what they call a browser hijacker. It can only be done to Microsofts
Internet Explorer (IE). A lot of sites, let's say on the shady side,
automatically upload and install the hijackers because IE uses Active X. Active
X allows an executabe file to be ran off an internet site without the user
knowing sometimes. You can turn off using Active X in IE's configuration. Opera
(which I use), Netscaper, and Firefox will not allow an Active X program to
run. They are the safest browsers out to use, and I recommend that everyone
dump IE over it. Besides that, IE is one of the largest and slowest pieces of
software they are. I can say that if you run the other browsers mentioned
above, you as safe on the net as any Linux browser in my opinion. Netscape and
Firefox are free browsers, and Opera is shareware. Opera runs around $35 and is
well worth it.

To kill the browser hijacker, spyware, malware, or any other bugs besides
Viruses, I would recommend using a program named Ad-aware by Lavasoft. It's
made to remove all that and clean the system if you do get infected with one.
For viruses, I'd recommend Nod 32 which I've found to catch more viruses in the
wild than any I've used.

Best,

Will