Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage

To: "'Steve Thompson'" <g8gsq@ic24.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:45:58 -0500

> >I assume manufacturers added the CW position on older amps to meet FCC
> >limits on input power for that mode.
> >
> >Did this serve to maintain circuit Q, or were there other considerations;
> >e.g., power supply limitation, et al.

This did nothing but allow the amp to pass type-acceptance from the FCC.

> The tank circuit is an impedance transformer. It converts the load
> impdance (typ. 50 ohms) to the high resistance presented to the tube
> plate - typ. 2-4k. If you don't touch the tuning controls, the transform
> is fixed, in which case the maximum power you can generate is related to
> the plate voltage (tube maximum current might also be a factor, but let
> it pass for the sake of simplicity). A lower voltage means lower maximum
> output, which was a way to keep on the right side of the rules at the
> time.
>
> >Just seems weird to operate an output stage that is not fully "dipped and
> >peaked."  Old habits are hard to break!

Dipping and peaking went out years ago with class C! You are showing your
age!

> >When I tune up my Kenwood TL-922 in the CW mode, and then decrease my
> >exciter output to around 50W, I notice a "HUGE" residual "dip and peak"
> >remaining in C1 and C2 respectively and a 200+ watt increase in output
> >power.  What's up with that???

You shouldn't be fooling around with tune and load at this time. You did
that already when you tuned up for maximum output, I hope. Again, my
suggestion is to operate the amp according to its manual, or turn it off.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC