Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CW and High Voltage
From: "m.ford" <k1ern@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:22:53 -0400
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
To: "'Steven Cook'" <sccook1@cox.net>; "'Phil Clements'"
<philc@texascellnet.com>; <Amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 1:20 AM

> Best efficiency is obtained when the plate tune and load caps are tuned
> for
> maximum output with a given amount of drive. Tuning up at maximum power
> with
> full drive as is normally done gives best efficiency at that power level.
> Now if you reduce drive, power out drops and efficiency also drops.

True for any machine be it electrical, mechanical or chemical. However, I am
having difficulty with the term "full drive".  Is it defined as the full
output of
the exciter or the maximum input rating of the tube or is it just an
arbitrary term
term used by hams?  Most of my experience with testing amplifier efficiency
was
done at input levels up to the 1db compression point.

Mike k1ern