Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: w4kv@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: "Bill L. Fuqua" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:36:47 -0400
If you can afford to buy the amp you can afford a converter.  USB is being
replaced by Fire Wire. It wont be long till computers will not have USB ports
or Fire Wire. These newer standards come and go very quickly. Unless you have
to have very high speed data transfers they are not needed.  I find it
interesting that people seem to believe the year 2000 was some boundary like
the speed of sound or light and we have to suddenly change to some new extreme
technology to past thru it.   BPL for example is one of the worst ideas yet.
There have  been others that did not get very far from the drawing board.
There is a lot to be said about the tried and true technology.
Speaking of Commadore Computers. The PET had the latest technology for its disk
drive interface in those days. They used IEEE488.  Not many computers after
that chose IEEE488. Yes, it was fast  and allowed multiple devices to be on the
same buss.  It just did not fare well on the computer market.

73
bill wa4lav