Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 14:57:07 -0400
George,

Your correct. The tubes though that do intermittantly spit or arc I've noticed
folks are running them right at the maximum or over the maximum rated plate
voltage. Tubes aren't evacuated 100% as that would be about impossible. If the
potential is high enough, and the elements are close enough together, with just
a very minute amount of gas, they could arc. If they couldn't there wouldn't be
a maximum plate voltage rating. Even though a vacuum is pulled, when an element
gets hot it can release a small amount of gas, even though they say the
material has been de-gassed. Plus with age, a small amount of atmosphere can
seep in, especially on glass tubes and where the ceramic to steel meets on a
steel tube. Though on any old tube that finally does start to do this more, one
should think about replacing them sooner or later. They could end up damaging
the power supply.

Best,

Will