Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:25:52 -0400
Ian,

Thanks as I didn't understand what you meant. I take it when this coating is
heated, it traps the gas molocules by the reaction. Receiving tube getters
absorbs the gas during the flash from a chemical reaction. That's why the
silvery coating turns white when more air is introduced inside the envelope. I
was servicing an old hybrid TV when I first started my shop years ago, around
1984. I had replaced the fuse and noticed what I thought an arc emitting from
around the Horizontal output tube. When I fused it again, I seen it was inside
the tube. It actually looked like small dull flash bulbs going off all over the
inside of the tube. It didn't make any bang, or pop, just a slight tinkleing
sound. After that first experience, I knew what to look for. Anytime though you
see a receiving tube which the silvering is white, you might as well can it
then as it's full of air. Generally, you'll find a crack in the glass around
one of the pins or under some anode caps. Some slightly gass
 y tubes, this silvering will discolor around the edges where it's faint around
the outside and silver in the middle. These generally will make the gassy light
go off on a tester but I have seen some that didn't. I've replaced them anyhow
and cured the problem.

Best,

Will