Re: [Amps] Power cord to use when converting AL-80B to 240 volts?

To: <AMPS@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power cord to use when converting AL-80B to 240 volts?
From: "Neal Sacon" <neal@sacon.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 13:24:52 -0700
>Dryers and ranges are resistive loads (cept the dryer motor) and do not
>produce voice modulated current peaks that like to see very low mains
>resistance. Nice cheap upgrade for any amp.

It doesn't seem to me that putting a beefy cable between the receptacle and
the amp wouldn't help anything unless it's a 50 amp 240 v circuit to start
with. Is it?

Note also that these amps are spec'd for 20 amps 120 volts circuits. This is
no accident. A lot of these them are being plugged into residential wiring
circuits which aren't more than 20 amp 120 volt 12-3 wire runs to start
with, and I bet there even are a few that are plugged into 15 amp 14-3,
which is standard room wiring these days.

The fact is that the load rating of the amp is 10 amps and not 50 amps. A 6
gauge pigtail is simply irrelevant to an appliance fused at 10 amps and I
wouldn't bother with it.

73 Neal N7RX