Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback

To: K1JJ@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Designing the Cleanest Linear with RF Negative Feedback
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:07:17 GMT
Hi Tom,
   First, I've never seen a feed forward correction system implemented for HF
so, I can't point you to any done circuits.

   It may be because it's a futile undertaking.  I don't know of any amateur HF
transceiver with good enough numbers to make it worthwhile.  You need to start
with something like -75db IMD, carrier, and opposite sideband rejection.  FF
will not fix the existing low level signal.  Does your FT-1KD generate its SSB
in the DSP chips?

   It would also require some effort to make it work over 2-30 MHz.
"Narrowband" for 80M would be a snap.

   You've got the low level output from your rig in place.  Add a delay line
(coax) plus a phase & gain adjust (a couple of pots and a C) to compensate for
the FT-1KD power amp. group delay.

   The TI opamp I mentioned is fine for an input loop amp. for 80M.  You'll
have to check if there is an inversion between the low level and high level
output of the FT-1KD to see whether this needs to be configured as an inverter
or non-inverter.

   You'll need a -30dB directional coupler on the FT-1K output for the input
loop.  For full (2-30MHz) range operation, a cross coupled transformer type
would be indicated.  For 80M only, just about anything would do.

   The correction loop amp. can use another couple of TI opamps (for 80M only),
a phase & gain adjust, plus say a 25W transistor amp. running at about a watt
for good numbers.

   A second delay line will feed the -10dB output coupler which can again be a
cross coupled transformer type. Or for 80M only, again just about anything
would do.

   You'll need to provide a SWR detect and hook it into the FT-1KD ALC, to
protect against the output ever coming loose as in that event lots of power
will reflect back into the correction amp.

73 & Good morning,
   Marv WC6W

 I used round numbers for illustration, the actual values may vary a couple dB.

**********************

-- "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi Marv,

Gee, that feed forward correction method sounds like something that would be
ideal for the FT-1000D. As you said, it could be later moved from rig to rig
too.

So far all I've seen on the web are ivory tower block diagrams, etc. Is
there a tested circuit available somewhere to build up or a commercial
surplus unit? Even something that has suggested chip choices with a circuit
I could then modify to my use would help.

For this particular project, I don't mind building up the two stages to go
from 5mW to 250mW using a chip and a tube, but this feed forward correction
idea could open the door to setting up other clean linear systems from
exisiting stand alone linears I have now in the shack..

Just to double check... it requires TWO inputs:  The 5mW, and  the 1000D
200W module output for sampling, correct?   And the big linear final would
have it's own negative feedback loop back to the tube driver, if used,
independent of the feed forward system? [assuming we don't use your 200 ohm
swamped system and still use a tube to drive the final]

73,
Tom, K1JJ