Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

To: craxd1@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy
From: KD7QAE <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 03:07:54 +0000
Actually, the microwave oven transformers are true engineering marvels
in which the $2 technology was delivered for $1 safely and effectively.
Most of these transformers are ferroresonant types which rely on
saturation to regulate the output voltage.  Ferroresonant transformers
will run quite hot as the core losses are 2 to 4x per pound those of
high quality linear transformers but they do the one thing that no
linear transformer can do, deliver a constant voltage with no active
devices.

Tomm