Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:45:40 +0000
Will Matney wrote:

>That's what I was remembering that they were actually regulating by
>using a ferro-resonant transformer (using a shunt). Without the shunt
>of course, you have a regular EI core, or close to it.

Another important difference is in the load it's designed for. In DC
terms, a magnetron is a diode. It has no control grid, so it needs a
current-limiting supply to prevent runaway damage.

This is completely the opposite of the constant-voltage supply that we
ideally need for conventional tubes. Even if we knock out the shunts,
we're still trying to use a transformer that was designed for a
fundamentally different kind of power supply... as well as being
designed for "maximum cheapness".

(Because of a line fault, my Internet connection will be intermittent
for the next few days.)

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK