Re: [Amps] HV switching power supplys?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV switching power supplys?
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:53:07 +0000
>Are you against using a transformer, rectifier and filter?
>
>Is weight a problem?
>
>Hal
>W4HBM
>Oh no, I'm just curious as to how this is progressing.  The thread on MOT's
>prompted
>the renewed interest.  So many very clever fellows out here, I was sure
>somebody has
>a design in the works.  Sure would make things nice from a shipping
>standpoint, so I'll
>bet they have been working on these in the East.

The increasing number of "vacation DXpeditions", along with declining
sunspot numbers,  means the demand for lightweight, reliable power
amplifiers is stronger than ever before.

Everybody can run 100W, so it isn't worthwhile to take an amp that only
gives 200-300W. The entry level is now at least 500W.

Reliability is also vital, when someone has hauled this thing halfway
around the world, and has staked their reputation (and yours) on it
being able to deliver.

Solid-state HV switchers for tube amps share some of the same problems
as pure solid-state power amps: everything depends on a small number of
power devices that are being worked very, very hard.

We're still looking a way to break out from "Lightweight, reliable,
power - pick any two."

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK