Re: [Amps] MW Oven Transformer question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MW Oven Transformer question
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:07:30 -0500
What you have where a weld is across the lams is this. If we looked at the
cross section of a lamination, the eddy currents would be in a circular pattern
inside the area we're looking at though thin it may be, but what we want. The
flux would be at a right angle to that flowing through the longitudinal of the
lam itself. However flux traveling at the top of those lams where that weld is,
the eddy current circling around the flux lines has room now to grow in size
because of more area from the weld and which increases eddy currents. In other
words, there's no break between the lams and it become a solid mass and the
circular eddy pattern can gain in size which is not what you want. That will
cause some loss but not a great amount. Now if their was a weld at the top and
bottom, it would have a path around. If you put four welds all around it, one
on each side, the outer fringe flux traveling in the circle from core to legs
and back have to go through those welds where the eddy
 s can increase sort of like putting four resistors in the partial flow of the
flux. Partial flow meaning several lines of flux in the outer most of each lam.

Best,

Will