Re: [Amps] Plate impedance

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate impedance
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:25:45 -0400
Rich,

On 4/10/06 at 6:07 AM R; Measures wrote:

>On Apr 9, 2006, at 10:17 PM, Will Matney wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I started reading through the RCA Radiotron Handbook this evening
>> looking for where the factor of 1.8 is listed for calculating the
>> plate impedance of a class AB amplifier, and I can not find it.
>
>A factor of 1.8 is close enough.  The exact factor is dependent on
>ZSAC, so there is no magic number written in stone.

I understand that as it will never be exact as there's too many variables
involved. That's about like designing transformers. By the way, the old
formulas in this edition of the Radiotron Designers Handbook on transformers, I
don't agree with. Where they came up with those figures I don't know, but they
differ from every book on the subject I've read. They only mention using iron
up to 10 kilogauss, which today is low. Most now run from 12 kilogauss (as
conservative), on up to 15 kilogauss (some higher). These formulas will get you
lost more than the old 5 / A formula when you try to plug the result into the
long formulas.