Re: [Amps] New Elecraft Amps (GS35B sockets?)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Elecraft Amps (GS35B sockets?)
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:42:18 -0400
Pat,

Although the GS-35B doesn't really need a socket as we know them, it is
best cooled using a mounting fixture that assures a good flow of air
around the filament, cathode and grid connections as well as the anode
cooler.  There is at least one commercially manufactured amp using the
GS-35B tube that has the tube directly fastened to the chassis. It uses
an air box above the chassis into which air is blown to cool the anode.
Unfortunately, there is really not a good flow of air around the
filament and cathode connections. There are several home made amps that
are mounted similarly and each has its own solution for cooling.
Unfortunately, those I have seen suffer from insufficient cooling of the
base of the tube or require an additional blower to cool the base. That
problem combined with keeping the stray inductance in the grid circuit
to a minimum is what drove me to build the mounting fixture (socket) the
way I did. Complete construction details on my fixture (including all
the dimensions in case you want to build one your self) can be seen
here: <http://gs35b.com/socket/>

73, Tony W4ZT

Patrick A. Thompson wrote:
> A number of hams market "homemade" sockets for the GS35B.  It's easy to see
> how the anode and filament stem receive cooling with these sockets.  Could
> you describe or point to a web page that shows a direct chassis mount that
> has adequate cooling for both the anode and filament area?
>
> I've seen at least one web page showing the GS35B mounted directly on the
> chassis but I don't see how it's cooled.
>
> Pat
> wa4tuk

<snip>