Re: [Amps] Q and Resonance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Q and Resonance
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:59:59 -0500
I suppose it is possible that a Tech could "design, test and construct
transmitters and amplifiers" but I have never known one that did.

This dumbing down of entry level licensees is definitely on purpose.  The
hobby was getting to the point where it would be virtually non-existent when
the old timers die off.

Our club has given up on teaching a Tech class in the traditional way.  Now
we are offering a one day "cram" course where the students are given the
element 2 exam immediately after the class.  It'd the new "one day wonder"
program.  You can imagine the grumbling that went on by the old timers in
the club when this program was announced.

But, I have good news.  We had 14 students and 12 passed.  Of the other two,
one studied alone and passed the exam at the next available VE session.  Of
the original 12 that passed, one studied further, learned the code and
passed General and the other did the same thing and passed Extra.
Furthermore, both are excited about their new found hobby and well on their
way to being active members of our club.

So, maybe this new method has some merit after all.

73, Keith NM5G