Re: [Amps] Ideal bandswitch brand for 3 kW out am?

To: Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ideal bandswitch brand for 3 kW out am?
From: Mark Hill <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:26:48 +0100
Larry,

I took the spark gap out of the Henry 27 MHz plasma generator that I
converted for 14 MHz mono band operation.  Mechanically it was
configured to support 'calibration' by means of winding the tread in
and out through the side of the case.  I wonder if this was a factory
adjust on test?!

Originally, the amp. had a Pi-L output network, comprising no 'C1'
(valve output capacitance only); variable 'L1' (shorted tun affair);
variable 'C2' (flapper in parallel with some fixed caps.); and fixed
'L2'.  I kept the Pi-L arrangement (different values) for 14 MHz use.

As there was no band switch, and no discrete C1 to flash over, I
recall debating (with the relative dimensions involved) whether the
spark gap would go first or the top of the valve anode to the
case!  In the end, I decided that the spark gap was superfluous.  C2
occasionally flashes as I think its got a deposit on the plate, but
if I remember to turn it through 180 degrees it gets by.

I shan't describe the "resistor in parallel with a bit of inductance"
that makes up the anode lead for obvious reasons (think there's a
picture on my website if you're a student of such things).

Arc, spark, bang!

Regards.

Mark.

At 16:51 30/06/2006, Larry Carman wrote:
>Concerning the calibrated spark gap: Is this consistent to what I've seen in
>the Henry Plasma Gens? On the 3cx3000a7 RF gens they incorporated two
>aluminum half spheres with a small air gap between them. One of the half
>spheres was connected to ground and the other to the tube anode. What would
>be the formula to calculate the gap between the two? I'm sure it's based on
>operation frequency, so this brings up another question. Would a spark gap
>protect components on 160 as well as 10 meters??? Also, would this protect
>the tune cap and bandswitch both? Would the load cap be protected to any
>extent? I'm full of questions today.....
>
>Larry N5BIP

Mark Hill - G4FPH
E-mail: g4fph@mjha.co.uk
Current web pages at: www.g4fph.net
Old web pages at: www.qsl.net/g4fph
Dipoles resonant on 1942 / 3720 / 7085 kHz
Three element wire beam coming soon on 14180 kHz!
Remember - SIDE for HV safety:
S witch off
I solate
D ump