Re: [Amps] Tetrode Amplifier

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>, <n5ff@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tetrode Amplifier
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:08:22 -0400
Regarding the 4K-U mods, all I did was eliminate ALL of the input circuitry
right up to the blocking cap and replaced it with the LDG auto tuner that
they sell for $129. It has no cabinet and requires a 12VDC supply, which are
found on ebay.  I also changed the tube to a 3CX1200D7, eliminated all the
ALC and center tune crap, took out the 2 filament transformers, changed the
Zener on the back to 6.8V and installed a quieter blower.  I mounted the new
filament xfmr down in the power supply and made a quick disconnect for the
filaments up in the RF deck.  I also had to put in a huskier filament choke
since the 1200D7 draws 25A.
I have pics but none that show the before-after sequence.

Re: the tracking,  I really don't think that the 4KU ever tracked well to
begin with.  Ted Henry says that they tuned it up for full smoke on 20 and
the other bands took care of themselves.  This is what I basically did also.
Since I don't care about 15 and 10 meters, I haven't even checked those
bands. 20, 40 and 75 seem to work fine.  Just load it up into a dummy load
on 20, then remove the chain and using a non-conductive stick, tune the
individual sprockets by turning them until you have max out.  Put it all
back together and see how it plays.  I wouldn't bother adjusting the tuned
input sprockets unless you have high swr showing between the exciter and the
8877.

If you have any other questions, I am just a phone call away. 813-643-3034

73 Bob W6TR