Re: [Amps] Tetrode Amplifier

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tetrode Amplifier
From: "m.ford" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:47:07 -0400
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:57 AM
Subject: [Amps] Tetrode Amplifier

> Having just about completed my modifications on the Henry 4K-Ultra, I am
> looking for another amp project.  I have a source for some 4CX300Y tetrodes
> and I just bought some sockets for them.  I am thinking about finding a
> desktop amp that was commercially produced using goofy tetrodes(or triodes),
> no longer made, and relatively cheap that I could modify to use the
> 4CX400's.  Any recommendations?  The ideal amp would have enough room to
> install screen and bias supplies if it were originally a triode amp.  I am
> thinking NCL-2000.  Any out there?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Maser  W6TR

Hello Bob.  Gee I almost missed this post. It was the NCL-2000 in caps
that caught me.

A gentleman that used to post here was involved in a lot of conversions
to 6 M for that amp. I guess he gutted them and started over. Wish I knew
it at the time because I would have inquired about the tailings. Actually I
did send an email but no joy.

I just qsyed to a new qth and have been setting up shop for a few weeks.
A few days ago I put all four working amps next to each other on the new test
bench.
I still need to un box the dead one. For a brief moment I was back in 1967 at
the
factory on Washington street. Summer job. Then war.

I am sorry to hear that now there is new competition for a carcass. I always
wanted
to move the p/s outboard and stuff four 8122 in the same pretty box. Leave the
only
clue as new logo on the front that reads NCL-4000. The recent postings about
multitube
amps were very interesting with a lot of  gotchas exposed. I took notes.

Cadavers can be had and brought back to life. The ones I see on ebay are over
priced.  Lot of
strange looking mods too. I have seen more than one with the screen supply
brought
out to a fuse holder on the front panel. Useless front panel for my project.

You should be able to find a dead one local. "They are all dead until proven
otherwise."

Mike  k1ern