Re: [Amps] The maximum amount of 811As and 572Bs in parallel

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] The maximum amount of 811As and 572Bs in parallel
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:09:57 -0400
Peter,

The Galaxy 2000 amp used (10) 6HF5 sweep tubes. It was also grid driven, and
was an amateur amplifier. It was made by the Galaxy Electronics Company in
Council Bluffs, Iowa. One thing to note that this amp used an anode voltage of
800 Vdc. This is really the region where these type tubes should be used. This
one also had a "linearity control" built into the bias circuit. It adjusts
itself to different power levels keeping it at class AB1.

Palomar amplifiers, which were built in California, were technically amateur
amps. They had a band switch and thus could be used as amateur amps. They used
6LF6, and 6KD6 sweep tubes, and were meant for low drive power transceivers.
CB'rs though bought these and converted them. These were built before the law
was changed that they could not be made to operate on 10 meters. One similar
was featured in the ARRL Handbook in the 70's. It was almost the same amplifier
in the way it was built.

There was a few other companies like D&A and Pride that actually made amps that
would work in the amateur bands. The RM and Zatagi sweep tube amps now are
strictly CB amps and have no bandswitch. This even though they claim to be for
10 meters, etc. They have a circuit that supposed to inhibit 11 meter
operation, but by just moving a jumper does away with the circuit. They are
using the EL509 tubes though. If I recall, the PL version has a 40 volt heater?

Galaxy amp;

http://www.radiowrench.com/sonic/so02192.html

Best,

Will