Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:36:04 -0700
On Jul 30, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:

>>> Correct.  Rus Healy at QST was the first who told me of
>>> this
>>> phenomenon.  However, it took Eimac a while to come up
>>> with a glass
>>> recipe that would not melt at VHF, so I was not surprised
>>> that the
>>> Chinese initially encountered the same difficulty.
>> Do you know when this was? I'd like to know which date
>> codes to avoid.
>
> Steve,
>
> The Chinese tube problem was NOT VHF heating as Rich
> claimed. The Chinese used regular glass and the tubes melted
> even with no RF applied.

So why didn't the entire envelope melt, Mr. Rauch?

> What I said was Rich **concluded** it was a parasitic.

correct.  The symptoms sounded familiar.

> I'm not aware of Eimac ever having that problem or any
> similar problem. It makes no sense at all to think they
> would.

Why is the 7034 (glass anode insulator) rated at 150MHz when the guts
are good for 500MHz?

> The Chinese tubes are long gone. They were early Chinese
> tubes.

Correct, Tom.  The glass fluxing agent was optimized to minimize D-
factor.

> 73 Tom

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org