[Amps] re Hammond hf amplifiers

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: [Amps] re Hammond hf amplifiers
From: "Fern Rivard" <crc@cyberlink.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:56:59 -0600
Ok Doug, sorry if I overlooked in mentioning the early hf amplifiers that Hammond Manufacturing made. Back in the 60's he had the HL-500, HL-700 and the HL-750 and all of them I believe used the 811A series of tubes. Now in the 1980's, they made both the HL-1000 (A) with a single 3-500Z tube and the larger unit model HL-2000 (A) with a pair of 3-500Z. They covered 80 to 10 meters and were able to be modified for the WARC bands. I've never owned either of those models but I do know that are quite a few of them still around and operating. The cosmetic look of the front panel on the HL-2000(A) is very similar to the Viewstar PT-2500A series.
Now as far as frying an egg on George's HL-1000(A), you could probably do the same in Fiji on the sidewalk if there is any out there! I do recall that the Viewstar PT-2500A with pair of 3-500Z was a real heat generator to have in the ham shack in the summer time as those glass tubes generated a lot of heat. However, I have never noticed that with my PT-3000A which uses a ceramic 8877 tube as it runs a lot cooooooler.

Cheers from Fern VE7GZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>