Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: "Fern Rivard" <crc@cyberlink.bc.ca>, "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>,<Gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:31:52 -0500
Hi Fern,

Those Viewstar amplifiers were first-rate all the way, to be sure.

I first saw one "up close & personal" at a Hamfest some 24 years ago, and
really admired its construction. It looked like the absolute best sort of a
rig that a savvy, experienced homebrewer could make --- rugged to the nth
degree, yet everything seemed to be quite accessible...not at all like the
automobiles being manufactured to-day, that were obviously designed by
engineering grads who never understood the expression "shade tree mechanic"
(ever try to change certain spark plugs in 99% of the current FWD
delights...?).

It seems to me, though, that Hammond Manufacturing (in Guelph, Ontario)
first designed & manufactured these amplifiers...if memory serves me well,
Viewstar bought the manufacturing rights from them, and then when they went
under, Barker & Williamson took the line over for awhile...

Anyway, they ARE "good'uns", well worth hanging onto.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ