Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag

To: <AMPS@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag
From: "John Vickers" <wa4tt@nlamerica.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:49:49 -0400
From: "Mike Sawyer" <w3slk@uplink.net>

>    I used nichrome and they worked. It was the only substitution made. The
> original suppressors were only in the amp for a short time (two weeks in
> intermittant operation). So it sounds to me that there is some merit to
> what
> Rich is saying.

I believe you said this was a pair of 813's. I still have one I built in
1965 running 3 813's and its never had an anode suppressor in it. Just a
wide copper strap from the plate choke (homebrew) to the tubes. Never had a
problem with parasitics. Used on 80, 40, and 20 m. Would run it with 1, 2,
or 3 tubes by just unplugging them and left the strap hanging. They were all
mounted in a straight line so plate lead was excessively long.Certainly
wasn't due to my engineering prowess--- was only 15 yrs old at the time. In
my case--- I didn't need *any* suppressor. In your case you did. It would be
beneficial if you had figured out WHY.
73, John WA4TT