Re: [Amps] Step Start on a 3KA Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step Start on a 3KA Amp
From: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:44:43 -0500
Bob, I must agree that overall simplicity is in most part a ham's best
friend when it comes to amplifiers. Fewer components mean fewer problems.
Many modern legal limit amplifiers allow no error for excess anything. The
old engineering traits of doubling the power handling capabilities of each
component have gone to the way-side. Many new amps have a mangle of
circuitry, supposedly to depress any spikes, parasitic, etc, BUT, I hear too
often of many new amps failing due to problems that these circuits should
have managed before damage occurred. If tube grids had adequate power
dissipation, some of the tube protection schemes would be unnecessary.
Bob, your Henry is what I call a lifetime amp. We will all probably die
before it does.
Regards,
Larry N5BIP