Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:44:41 -0700
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:40:34 -0400, Paul Christensen wrote:

>From a manufacturer's perspective, there's still quite a burden as no gain
>can occur between 26-28 MHz. The new rule sounds great at first, but outside
>of relatively complex circuitry, how does a manufacturer offer a traditional
>(no microprocessor or internal freq. counter) legal-limit amp that is
>capable of 1500W at 28.000 MHz, but is unity gain or inoperable at 27.999
>MHz?  Simple filters won't work.

If your amplifier has a microprocessor, it shouldn't be too tough to sense
the input frequency and cause the amp to shut down within the specified
limits. And since it would be in firmware, it would be tough for a non-techie
to circumvent. If I'm not mistaken, several of the "big boys" have been using
microprocessors and/or DSP for a while.

Jim Brown K9YC