Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...

To: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:01:52 -0400
"Years ago the Alpha 77Dx was manufactured with one 8877 tube and a square
plate that could be removed to add a second 8877, making a 77Sx...."

Yes, I own one with the plate still intact.   Back in the early '90s, I was
also considering the purchase of the 87A as an alternative to the 77Dx.
While talking to Ray one day, he conveyed all those issues, including 160M
inefficiencies which may have gone to the point of the doorknob caps.
Anyway, after my discussion, I was convinced that it was just a trick to
foster new hardware sales.   There's more money to be made on the sale of a
new amp than in the sale of some parts.  But there seems to be some truth to
his assertion, although I'm still happy with the 77Dx purchase some 15+
years later.

For several reasons, I've never considered adding the second 8877 to the
amp.  For one, I would much rather troubleshoot an amp with one tube, versus
two.

Paul, W9AC