Re: [Amps] New FCC Amplifier Rule

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New FCC Amplifier Rule
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:13:37 -0400
Pete,

It's untelling how hard they will try to enforce this. Even though the FCC has
made several large busts in the past I know about, stuff is still coming into
the US like illegal amps and transceivers. I think one manufacturer of
transceivers in Malaysia just pays the fine and keeps pluggin along, or their
government is keeping him shielded somehow. They busted him and several
so-called wholesalers at an underground convention in Las Vegas a few years
back, and they're all still in business!

I can also say what the FCC does when they hear about one building illegal
amps. I was in business to start with another guy in Kentucky. We received a
letter from the FCC saying they heard we were building amps, and they requested
a day they could visit us. Well of course you know everything was quickly hid,
and they were invited down. They NEVER showed up! I think all we had to do was
deny it in our letter and that was it. If it were me, I'd make an un-expected
visit! You know they surely could find us from the one who reported it.

Another long time manufacturer in Wawasee Indiana was busted not for amps, but
over his income tax. The IRS did show up, and that's what got him, not the 15+
years of amp manufacturing they did! One in Oklahoma took the FCC to court and
won! However they in turn sicked the IRS on him and he received an audit. The
others who were busted just stayed low for a few months and took up where they
left off. The fine must have not been that large evidently. Yup, the FCC is
really after them all righty.

Best,

Will