Re: [Amps] FW: Zener Bias Replacement

To: "'Bob Maser'" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>,"'Larry Carman'" <lncarman@swbell.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Zener Bias Replacement
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:05:37 -0600

> > OK... you all have sold me on the idea of using zeners instead of
> standard
> > diodes. At least by using standard diodes I have determined the bias
> > voltage
> > I need. Now I have to find a zener supplier that will accommodate a poor
> > mans budget.
> > Regards to all and thanks for the info.
> > Larry N5BIP

Go down to your local emporium and buy a 1N4741 Zener, a 2N3055 transistor,
and a heat sink for the 3055. This will give you 12 volts at 50 watts +. If
you need another voltage, just sub the 4741 for the value you need. This
should all cost you < $5.00. Works good; lasts a long time!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC