Re: [Amps] FW: Zener Bias Replacement

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Zener Bias Replacement
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:37:50 +0000
Steve Thompson wrote:

>Larry Carman wrote:
>> OK... you all have sold me on the idea of using zeners instead of standard
>> diodes. At least by using standard diodes I have determined the bias voltage
>> I need. Now I have to find a zener supplier that will accommodate a poor
>> mans budget.
>> Regards to all and thanks for the info.
>How does a smaller diode with a big transistor fare (for example, see
>the very bottom of http://i5uxj-2.cln.it/amp/schemi/w6sai/w6sai.html) -
>or a big transistor with a TL431 as in the G3SEK 'triode board'? Either
>will likely be a lot cheaper than a high power zener.

Sorry, I'm pushed for time at the moment, and unable to reply in great
detail.

The circuit for a high-power  'adjustable zener' comes straight from the
TL431 data sheet. Both WD7S and I have used it in our triode control
boards, because it gives a highly stabilized bias voltage that is also
fully adjustable.

The schematic is in my Triode Boards manual, downloadable from the
website below.

Somewhere in the AMPS archives is a cost breakdown that showed this
circuit works out cheaper than a 50W zener at new-parts prices (try
searching for "TL431").

On the road again tomorrow...

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK