Re: [Amps] Bad tubes from ebay, update

To: "Larry" <larry@w7iuv.com>, <Gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bad tubes from ebay, update
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:54:24 -0800
 I built my first Russian tube  in 1998 (GS-35b) after a ham friend swapped
me a tube at the Puyallup electronics flea market (In the Seattle area) I
was quite impressed at the time with how well it worked on HF..True,it`s a
medium mu tube&requires a lot of bias, but with 100 watt exciters legal
limit is easily done.Now if you do the research you will find the tube is
designed for 500 hrs operation... The Eimac tubes are rated in the thousands
of hrs...But the price is right for the Russian jugs, at least until the
supply dries up(if you get good tubes!.)..I don`t understand why you fear
the 8877 Larry..If you design&build with protective circuitry/grid
trip/plate glitch protection,etc how can you fail? I consider the quality
over the quantity and prices are going down for 8877`s as the surplus supply
goes up too....How many Russian tubes are going to match (Each others)
specs&performance?  Not too many from my experiance,you will be hard pressed
to find two GS-35b`s that match each other fairly close,not a real big deal
unless your amp uses a pair of tubes...The guys that run much more than
3.5kv on the Russian tubes? Big chance of tube arcs no amount of "Nichrome"
can cure. Just my opinion from personal experiance, for what it`s worth
73,Jim..