Re: [Amps] Bad tubes from ebay, update

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bad tubes from ebay, update
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:00:56 +0000

k7rdx wrote:
>  I built my first Russian tube  in 1998 (GS-35b) after a ham friend swapped
> me a tube at the Puyallup electronics flea market (In the Seattle area) I
> was quite impressed at the time with how well it worked on HF..True,it`s a
> medium mu tube&requires a lot of bias, but with 100 watt exciters legal
> limit is easily done.Now if you do the research you will find the tube is
> designed for 500 hrs operation... The Eimac tubes are rated in the thousands
> of hrs...
I think it's worth considering the context of the 500hrs. I suspect it's
heavy duty, adverse conditions as these things were primarily for a
military/airborne market. There's nothing fragile about the innards and
I think there's plenty out there with lots of hours on them.

I'd echo the comments about UR4LL. He offered an untested used GS35b for
little over the shipping cost. It turned out to be an absolute dud - and
he replaced it.

Steve