Re: [Amps] Old Power Cord

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Old Power Cord
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:46:14 -0800
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:20:32 -0700, Chris Howard wrote:

>Do I have to get a building permit to string up a 40 meter dipole?

You're putting words in mouth -- I never suggested any such thing.
I simply stated the requirements for GROUNDING.

>You are saying "must", "must", "LAW", "ILLEGAL".

I'm stating my best understanding of the LAW.

>You're throwing the words around.

I'm really trying to be quite precise in my statements.

>Is that really what you meant?

Yes.

>Is there a loophole for amateur radio?

NEC is based on the laws of physics. There are NO exceptions. :)

>(It appears not if the
>all-consuming NEC have their foot on our necks already).

Foot on our necks? Far from it. First, NEC is not a "they," it is a
building code defining the correct ways of implementing electrical
systems in homes and businesses. The NEC (National Electrical Code)
was written (and is updated every three years) by some VERY smart
engineers. I've met a few of them that address issues related to
pro audio and video systems. I also serve on an international
standards body (the Standards Committee of the Audio Engineering
Society).

I've never found anything in NEC that makes it more difficult to
make audio, video, or radio systems work well. The NEC is written
by these experts, and adopted by local governments. Be thankful to
them.

>Help!

Study my tutorials. Doing it right (and safely) isn't much more
difficult than doing it wrong and unsafely (that is, it could start
a fire, destroy equipment, even kill someone). Mainly you need to
study enough to learn the right way(s) to do it.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC