Re: [Amps] 230v wiring question

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 230v wiring question
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:33:57 -0400
> Also, you should NOT use a 15 or 20 amp outlet on a larger
> breaker. Do NOT use a 30 amp breaker to power a 20 amp rated
> outlet. The weakest link sizes the breaker.

Agreed as well.  What can happen is that if someone mistakenly believes that
by viewing a 30A breaker that one may also draw 30A from an existing 20A
plug/outlet combination without first looking closely at the rating of the
plug/outlet.   The nomenclature can be difficult to read and/or understand
for non-electricians.

Last month, I took the costly plunge of upgrading my twist-locks from 20A to
30A for system congruency: I had an existing 30A breaker, #10 AWG wiring,
but upgraded to a 4-pole 30A twist-lock plug/outlet combination.

The Alpha amp electrical cabling was also upgraded to #10 to better match
the current rating of the 77Dx amplifier.  The only drawback is that
stranded #10 is pretty darn hard to flex and needs a rather large bend
radius!   Thankfully, Dick Ehrhorn had the foresight to use high-current
Cinch-Jones electrical connectors on his early amps which made the upgrade
much easier than if the #10 cabling had to be pulled into the amp chassis
via a strain relief.

Paul, W9AC