Re: [Amps] Resistor Types

To: "Manfred Mornhinweg" <mmornhin@gmx.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor Types
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:14:10 -0400
I still have fond memories of working for High Voltage Engineering Corp back
in the 69-70 era. Our typical product was 200-500KV @ 100-200ma power
supplies primarily used in textile processing. There was a 1 megavolt supply
under construction for some atomic particle accelerator when I left.

> So I think in this application the diodes are quite safe.
>
>> Now this was from people making diodes all the way from microwave
>> detector diodes through small signal, small rectifier and up 5000 Amp
>> devices for electric trains....
>
> I can imagine that when stacking 5kA diodes to make a 22kV rectifier,
> these issues become quite a bit more critical than in a "low power" ham
> radio amp! ;-)

I havent seen equalizing resistors used in ham, commercial or industrial PS
strings for at least 20 years; many longer than that. The diode
repeatability over any number of production runs is well within tolerances.
Unless you are buying floor sweepings from unknown sources that is.

Carl
KM1H