Re: [Amps] Resistor Types

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor Types
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:56:16 +0200 (CEST)
The comments about equalising resistors on diodes are interesting. The guys who
manufactured and did the applications on diodes, SCR's, triacs and IGBTs at my
employer's plant in Lincoln (before it was sold it to someone!)  told me that
it's OK doing without equalising resistors if the diodes are from the same
diffusion batch, but warned that diodes from different batches shouldn't be
mixed without equalisation because the avalanche voltage can be high enough in
some of them for the dissipation to become a problem when they avalanche. Now
this was from people making diodes all the way from microwave detector diodes
through small signal, small rectifier and up 5000 Amp devices for electric
trains....
This suggests that if you have to replace a modern diode, you should replace
the string.........OTOH, you might just get away with it for years without
problems. But these guys did have a good track record of knowing what they were
talking about.....
73
Peter G3RZP