Re: [Amps] Resistor Types

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor Types
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:29:19 +0200 (CEST)
Manfred said:
>Yes, this is of course a point to keep present. It would never occur to
me to make a series string of different diodes, and use them without
equalization! But for that matter, I wouldn't use a series string of
different diodes at all, not even with equalization!<
Fortunately, it's not usual (at least in my experience) for just one diode in a
series string to go. But losing a string that's part of a bridge is another
matter, and some  people may feel all they need to do is change that string.
Under those conditions, I'm a believer, like I gather Manfred is, in changing
all the diodes.
At least with silicond diodes, we don't get the problems we had with mercury
vapour, where they could occasionally arc for no real reason. One trick was to
put a small coil in each plate lead witha piece of steel rod in it it: after
the flash over, the steel was magentised, and you detect it with a small
compass needle. That told you which tube to change......
73
Peter G3RZP