Re: [Amps] Load Pulling

To: bumerang boom <bumerang.boom@yahoo.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Load Pulling
From: rgroh@swbell.net
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:17:32 -0700 (PDT)
Oh, boy, this is a difficult question.

First off, with a 2 MHz (i.e. period = 500 ns) narrow (i.e. 20 ns wide for a
duty cycle of 4%), you have very rich harmonic generator with (if my memory
serves me right) the first null in the harmonic content at the 25th harmonic.

So, to capture enough of the energy for a representative shot at the load
impedance you should probably use a 'load' that will cover a frequency range
from perhaps 2 MHz (your fundamental) out to maybe the 10th harmonic (assuming
the energy content beyond that is reasonably low - check the Fourier series for
the waveform for a better answer).

To complicate matters quite a bit, the output impedance of the generator may
not itself be flat over the frequency range of interest!  By this I mean the
real and imaginary parts (the latter adjusted for sign and adjusting for
frequency) may not be constant. But that gets complicated so lets assume that
is not the case for now.

OK, so we are going to assume we need a 'load' that has constant  components
from 2 MHz to better than 20 MHz.  Then we figure out a way to measure the
energy transferred to the real part of our load. We might be able to get a
reasonable answer simply by measuring the voltage across the real part with an
oscilloscope particularly if we have an scope with the capability of to measure
true RMS). Now we adjust the real and reactive parts of the 'load' to maximize
the energy transferred. And, eureka, we can then measure the load, take it's
complex conjugate, and we have an idea of the output impedance of the generator.

But lots of assumptions there. Should be interesting!  Lots of luck.

Oh, not said above, but the idea of using VSWR meters, antenna tuners, etc -
totally out of the question due to the nature of your generator (i.e. pulse
with a wide frequency content).

73
Bob, WA2CKY