Re: [Amps] New SB-200 owner

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New SB-200 owner
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:16:39 -0400
<SNIP>

. This is much more prevalent in amateur radio
> because texts are not peer reviewed than in scientific
> publications, since the peer review process sorts this out.
>
> The ARRL Handbooks go through a lengthy peer review, and the
> remaining nonsense is largely edited out after a few
> printings.

 I wish they did that back in the early 50's issues. I built a 6AG7-6L6 TX
and could barely make a QSO a 1/2 mile away on 80M. Then I got a QSL from
the Canadian Govt saying I was interefering with an aviation frequency on
the 3rd harmonic of the crystal. Had a local General look at the schematic
and he laughed. The 6AG7 drove the 6L6 directly with no tuned circuit. B+
went right to the oscillator thru a 2.5mh choke. After a bit of hack and
wack I had a 80/40 tuned stage and lots of QSO's.

The RSGB Handbooks are the same. Unfortunately
> the Radio Handbook never went through a process like that,
> so a few really bad ideas stayed in it year after year. This
> doesn't mean the author was a bad person, it doesn't mean
> the book is useless, it just means it has some glaring bugs
> that were never corrected.
>
>> Yet you say it suggests excellent IMD re: Pappenfus.
>
> Properly applied it does. Everyone agrees on that.
>
> Improperly applied to any or every system in the world or
> applied outside the boundaries of good engineering it is a
> bad idea.
>
> What is so difficult to understand about that?

Nothing, it is the first time I heard/saw it explained. Other than glancing
at some old Orr and other articles in CQ I never gave the circuit much
thought.

The only other commercial application that Im aware of is the THP HK-1L.

Carl
KM1H